Our History

Pumpkinvine Baptist Church was constituted April 30, 1843 in Paulding County, Georgia, under the name of Moriah and though the name was changed, it is still is one of the oldest churches in Paulding county.   The original church building was constructed of logs; church records indicate Brother James Roberts was called as the first Pastor in 1845.PBC, Moriah

In 1849, the church name was changed from Moriah to Pumpkinvine Baptist Church as there were two Moriah churches in the county.  The name Pumpkinvine was chosen due to the close proximity of Pumpkinvine Creek. The second church building was constructed in 1873 and 1874.  The first Sunday School was organized in 1898 and was later reorganized in 1902.  In 1943, after a century of fellowship, Pumpkinvine had a membership of just under one hundred.

In 1948 the church voted to build a new church across what is now known as Buchanan Highway; this is the present location.  The church continued to grow and in 1960, four Sunday School classrooms were added, and in 1963, the first restrooms were built and a well was drilled. 

In 1971 and 1972 central heat and air were installed and an organ was purchased. As God blessed and our church the church continued to grow, more additions came – a baptistery, additional Sunday School rooms, and a fellowship building.

Present day buildingThrough God’s abundance and because of continued growth and expansion, the church constructed its latest facility with a new sanctuary, fellowship hall and educational space.  The church held their first service in this building on Easter Sunday, 2000.

Pumpkinvine is a Southern Baptist Church and support the Cooperative Program.